Jamestown School Building & Library History
In 1907, the community of Jamestown, North Carolina was selected as one of the first sites for a rural high school. It became the first accredited rural high school in North Carolina and the first of its kind in Guilford County.
The Jamestown Public School Building was built in 1915 after a fire destroyed the first school building. It functioned as high school until Ragsdale High School was built in 1959.
Then, the school building was utilized as Jamestown Elementary School until 1982.
Finally, after tremendous support from alumni and the Town of Jamestown, the building was renovated to reopen as the Jamestown Public Library in 1988.
To learn more about the history of the school, visit the archives on the top floor of the library:
Old Jamestown School Association Archives Open: Tuesdays from 10:00am-12:00pm.
In 2014, we were given the opportunity to digitally preserve some of our archival materials by collaborating with the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.
Items included: yearbooks, class and graduation photographs, graduation programs, pictures of the building (like the ones seen here), sports teams, and more!
For optimal viewing on this website, increase the zoom (under "Automatic Zoom") to 50%.
Then use the scroll bar function at the bottom to go across the timeline.
Download your own copy (PDF version) of the timeline here.